Hours: Full Time
Salary: depending on qualifications
When: From immediate
Deadline for applications: 12 March 2012 (4pm)
Alternative Family Law was founded by Andrea Woelke in 2005 as a niche family law practice. Andrea deals with all private family law work with special expertise in international cases, cohabitation and working with lesbian and gay clients. Further details of our work can be found on our website.
We are looking for an enthusiastic newly qualified or recently qualified solicitor who is keen to develop a practice working with lesbian and gay clients.
The solicitor will assist Andrea Woelke in larger cases as well as (gradually) running their own cases under Andrea’s supervision. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate who wants to get his teeth into an eclectic variety of cases, such as these recent ones:
The right candidate
- has a strong academic basis and the ability to develop and maintain excellent legal knowledge and technical skills
- is an all-rounder who enjoys the variety of work, with the ambition to stretch himself or herself to learn new skills without shying away from mundane tasks
- has very good organisational and interpersonal skills
- has excellent spoken and written English and in particular the ability to express complex legal issues in plain English
- has good IT and word processing skills and the ability to type accurately at reasonable speed with the knowledge and/or ambition to learn to resolve complicated formatting issues in Word and Excel
- pays attention to detail with the ability to complete task with minimal supervision
- appreciates the need for accurate and error-free work
- can be 100% trusted with client-confidentiality
- takes pride in the quality of work, taking responsibility for getting the job done
- is very flexible with a "can do" attitude
- has a smart appearance and image and a professional attitude
- subscribes to the Resolution Code of Practice and the full range of ways to resolve family disputes
- is committed, enthusiastic, energetic and has a sense of humour
Working knowledge of foreign languages or British Sign Language is not a condition but desirable.
We are a small office and the position would therefore suit someone who works independently and will enjoy working in an environment with clients who are from a variety of groups including from the gay and lesbian community and with international clients.
We apply a strict equal opportunities policy and therefore welcome applications from all groups of society.
Applications forms and details of how to submit your application can be found on our website at http://www.alternativefamilylaw.co.uk/en/about/jobs.htm